Salinas Farm Intern
Tanimura & Antle is an employee-owned family farming business with a four-generation legacy and a passionate commitment to growing premium quality produce. As one of the largest independent vegetable growers in the United States, Tanimura & Antle farms more than 36,000 acres of rich, fertile farmland and ships a full line of premium fresh conventional, organic and greenhouse grown produce products throughout the nation.
We are looking for employees that fit into the Tanimura & Antle culture and want to have an impact on our growth and success. We believe in, and are committed to, creating a sustainable future through innovation throughout our operations.
Our Mission: To “Consistently provide our customers fresh and healthy premium produce with superior customer service that meets and exceeds their quality and value expectations”
Our Vision: To “Operate as a highly innovative company, sustainably growing, while enhancing the lives of all through employee ownership and customer inspired partnerships”
The Internship: In this role, you will assist the Farm Department in achieving the highest quality product by performing a variety of hands-on tasks and projects. This might include irrigation solutions, soil reporting, equipment inventory and more.
Location: Salinas, CA
Areas of Responsibility:
- Learn and understand various irrigation and tractor methods.
- Help monitor and track thrip/INSV levels.
- Insure Well lubrication is being performed.
- Collect and log irrigation Well depths throughout the various ranch location.
- Collect and send off soil and water samples to laboratory.
- Assist/Report Farm Managers in testing soil nitrate in various crop.
- Support Farm Managers in the day-to-day activities as needed.
- Drive tractor and irrigate as needed.
- Design ranch maps as needed.
- Update farm equipment list – review & confirm tag and asset number match.
- Irrigation flow meter monitoring by district.
- Special projects as assigned.
High school diploma and college standing of Sophomore, Junior or Senior standing.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Must have good computer skills. Experience with MS Excel desirable.
Must have current driver’s license.
Highly independent. Self-motivated to continually improve and add value, even if it is outside of their job description.
Hands-on approach to work. Ability to trouble shoot and provide solutions.
Effective communication skills, verbally and written.
Enjoys being a team player and being part of a collective effort.
Ability to plan ahead and predict problems by being observant to the little things that make a big difference.